Skip to main content

Repentance: key to a loving relationship

 Have you ever done something wrong to someone and when they ask you why did you do that ? You say, " I only did it because of what you did to me ." I don't know about you, you may be perfect but I have done that.  And if you were to ask the other person why did you do the thing you did to me? They may say they were responding to something you did prior 🤦🏾‍♂️. With behaviors like this it is no wonder  our relationships are so difficult with each other. But this attitude didn't start with me or you. It started with the Devil in heaven.  When the devil rebelled in heaven, he blamed God for his rebellion, refused to repent. Basically saying " if we were not reproved, we wouldn't have rebelled." (Story of redemption)

Then we saw Adam and Eve did the same thing after they sinned. When God asked Adam what happened? What did you do? Adam acknowledged guilt but blamed his wife and God for his guilt. He said "the woman whom you gave me gave me of the fruit and I ate." Basically telling God I am a victim of circumstances, a victim of your gift  ,the woman. Eve said the same thing," the serpent deceived me and I ate ." Basically saying, "God why did you create the serpent 🐍? Why did you allow it to enter Eden." It is the spirit of self justification and it has its origin with the devil. This spirit prevents us from seeing our part in a conflict and it makes us very ugly to be with.

Even in prayer we do things like that. Lord, forgive me for getting mad at my spouse and yell, you know I only got mad because...stop 🚫! Once you start saying because, you are doing the same thing Adam and Eve did. Telling God you only did evil because of someone else. This is not true repentance. Friends, no one is responsible for our own behaviors. Your daddy, your spouse, your friends are not responsible for your behaviors. They may influence you but you make the choices. Matter of fact not even the devil is responsible for the things you do. The devil brings the temptations, but you choose to act. He cannot choose for you .

To repent is to acknowledge that I alone am responsible for what I did. It is to come to the Lord and say Lord I have sinned against you, please have mercy upon me. This is one of the reason the Bible say King David was a man according to God's own heart. When David was reproved for his sin with Bathsheba and the murder of her husband, he did not seek to justify himself and say Bathsheba made me sin by taking a bath naked by my house. She should have known better. Had she not been there, I wouldn't have sinned etc.. but when the prophet Nathan said "you are the man," David said I have sinned and the prophet Nathan said the Lord has forgiven you. 

He was forgiven because he acknowledged his guilt. In psalm 51, he said I acknowledge my iniquities. King Saul on the other hand was the opposite, he blamed the people and everyone else for his sins and as a result he never truly repented and God had no choice but to cast him off. Friends, nothing makes us more ugly then when we refuse to acknowledge our fault and seek to blame others. Nothing makes us more beautiful when we have the courage to say yes, I had no right to do what I did, I am wrong and I bear the sole responsibility. When I began to understand that I alone was responsible for my actions, it changed a lot of things. It made me very careful in how I live. 

Knowing that you alone are responsible for your action will change how you approach God and how you live with one another. It empowers you, because you know that God has given you the power of self control. Blaming others for our actions rob us of our humanity, it turns us into slaves. But we are not slaves. Friends, if you want to have beautiful relationships with God, with others, take accountability. Learn what it means to truly repent. Don't blame your  spouse anymore for your cheating habits. Dont blame others for you being angry, bitter and miserable. Take responsibility, say Lord I am a bitter, angry person, have mercy upon me and forgive me. 

When we acknowledge our guilt, God sees us as His children, He sees true humility. When we acknowledge our guilt, others see us as people of integrity, people who despite our past wrong doing can be trusted. Trying to hide our wrongs under the deception of self justification only reveal our wickedness, show that we are not to be trusted. Friends, let us ask God for the courage to truly repent, to not do like Satan, Adam and Eve and blame others for actions, but to be like David and say I have sinned. Learn what true repentance is and your relationships will be very beautiful. Knowing you alone are responsible for your actions will make you go to God to ask Him for wisdom  on how to live right. In the day of judgment, the question will be the same as with Adam, did you do what I told you not to do? We will not be able to blame anyone else. So let us start getting ready today and let us learn to practice true repentance before the Lord and to say Lord, forgive me, I acknowledge my iniquity and the Lord will abundantly pardon us .

Jeremiah 3:13

Only acknowledge thine iniquity, that thou hast transgressed against the LORD thy God, and hast scattered thy ways to the strangers under every green tree, and ye have not obeyed my voice, saith the LORD.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The idolatry of marriage: a recipe for disaster

 People are suffering, loneliness is rampant in the land. Many people in the world look to marriage as a savior, an institution that will rescue them from their loneliness. They think finally i will have someone I can call mine, someone who will love me with all their hearts until death do us apart 🤗. But the increasing divorce rates tell a different story. A story of marriage being difficult, a story of many married people being miserable , lonely , bitter and see divorce as a viable option to escape the misery they find themselves in. A story of many preferring to live together instead of getting married.  Marriage has become a scary thing in the land. Marriage for many has become synonymous with losing half your wealth and your children. But why has marriage become so destructive to many ? Why has something as beautiful as marriage become such a terror to many 🤔? It is because marriage has become an idol to many. Marriage has become a god to many in the church and in the world. Sa

The difficulties of love

 Love is a beautiful thing. Love makes life worth living. Love is best thing in the universe because God is love 😍. We all want love, we all want to be loved and many of us want someone to love. Love is very precious indeed. We sing about love, we write about it and we make movies about it. And yet love is the most difficult thing to find in this earth. It is easier to find diamonds and gold than to find true love. Easier maybe to find the lost city of Atlantis than to find genuine love. Many people have simply given up on love. They see the idea of loving and having someone to love them as fables for unwise and inexperienced children. Love is rare indeed. Why is it so hard to love or find love 🤔? The easiest answer is because we are imperfect. Being imperfect means we are broken, unable to perform the function we were made to do. Come with me on a journey of the difficulties of love. Imagine you meet someone, a man, a woman, the " love of your life." The woman is beautiful

What do you bring to the table ?

 Man and woman are both made in the image of God.  Man and woman are both valuable and equal in worth but are not the same.I repeat, man and woman are not the same. There is an attempt in our culture to make man and woman the same, it's nothing but a Satanic assault to destroy the beauty of God's creation . Man and woman are different for a reason. Each reveal different qualities of the Godhead. When a man and woman come together in the way of God, real beauty will be revealed. Man and woman offer different things in a relationship. What do you bring to the table 🤔?  Is the question many are asking when it comes to choosing a spouse . According to the Bible the man is to provide for the woman and the woman is to be a help meet to the man. A help meet is a perfect match for someone. The woman is to match her husband,  completing him, making him stronger, being strong where he is weak . The man is supposed to provide financially, security,  stability. The man is to provid

Blogger

Blogger
Study

Modern Man

Modern Man
We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to our own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all. Isaiah 53:6